A lot of bloggers post lists, links, videos, pictures of their favorite things at the moment. These are some of MY favorite posts to read. You get to see things you may not normally have come across and you get an insight to what they are interested in!
So, I decided to do the same. Because I have favorite things too. A lot of them. No better place to start than with how awesome people are coming together to raise money for Hurricane relief efforts!
Today: Hurricane Sandy Fundraisers
1. Jersey Unite: As a native to the Jersey Shore, seeing the destruction of our hometowns was absolutely devastating. Jenny Gassner (whom I’ve known since middle school) designed three different Jersey Shore t-shirts available for purchase to help with the relief effort. More than 50% of the profits will be donated to the Red Cross or to a specific family in need in the area that I grew up.
(from left to right) The t-shirts feature Bon Jovi “Living on a Prayer” lyrics, Bruce Springsteen “Rosalita” lyrics and Jersey Shore town names written into the words!
I OBVIOUSLY bought the Bruce Springsteen shirt!
Note: If you order a shirt, it is pre-ordered!
2. Megan’s fundraiser/giveaway for Staten Island relief efforts: Born and raised in Staten Island, Megan feels the way toward SI as I do toward the Jersey Shore. She created a giveaway on her blog that is also a fundraiser. Donate money = get an entry. Donate more money = get more entries. The best part? She has AMAZING sponsors donating the prizes. Please head over to her blog and consider donating to the relief effort in Staten Island (and enter to win some awesome prizes)!
Photo Courtesy of Megan
3. A Wedding Registry to help a fellow HLB who lost everything to Sandy! Where do I begin with this? Ashley and her husband are amazing and came up with the idea to create a registry on the Target website for all essential items including furniture, kitchen and bath items, electronics and personal items for her and her husband as well as their two kids!
Even more awesome? Ashley was interviewed by ABC News about the fundraiser. We are that much closer to helping Jen’s family rebuild! Please share the registry and consider purchasing any items (they are shipped to Jen and her family)! The smallest purchase goes a long way.
4. Custom Erica Sara Designs necklace giveaway! Christine has very graciously offered to donate $1 for every entry received. Yes, add them to the beautiful human list. 100% of the donation will go to the Brooklyn Recovery Fund to be used to support storm recovery efforts in Brooklyn. The funds will provide direct support for need to communities and organizations impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
5. Runners running for Sandy relief! Crowdrise makes it SUPER EASY to set up a fundraising page. Please consider donating to Lora’s page and Katie’s page (who I will be side-by-side with at the Richmond Marathon this weekend)! Both have set up the fundraiser to benefit the Mayor’s Fund to Advance NYC! 100% of the donations from organizations and individuals are being dispersed to relief effort organizations, which purchase immediate aid needs such as food, water and hygiene supplies as wells as long-term relief and restoration efforts!
Lora and Kara created a fun and easy way to raise money for Sandy Recovery. We are all going to be running anyway right? They figured, donate some money and they will organize a Virtual Race with PRIZES! Win/Win if you ask me. All of the proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross.
How to participate:
- Run a race of any distance the month of November. There are SO many to choose from!
- Register for the Virtual Race for Hurricane Sandy here.
- Pledge your donation here (a minimum donation of $10 requested). Once again, ALL proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross.
- Tell all of your friends that you are participating and invite them to join us, too.
- Run your race and tell us how you did! Make sure to send us pictures.
- Win Prizes.
You can join and participate up until November 30.
7. Daily Zeel Pinterest page created by Stacy (she is an employee)! She pinned fundraisers, giveaways, and/or discounts for Hurricane Sandy relief. Please visit the page and check out all of the amazing opportunities to give back!
8. Surfrider Foundation, NYC - Rory, a friend I used to work with, is collecting supplies and donations needed (click on link) at his bar, Blue Haven (108 W. Houston & Thompson in Greenwich Village). Rory will be delivering the supplies on Saturday afternoon (Nov 10) to Far Rockaway to Surfrider Foundation that will distribute all of the donations to those in need!
9. Jen’s Cheribundi Giveaway (Donate for Entries)! Jen has chosen two charities to benefit from the donations (50/50).
She has also agreed to match up to $50 and her parents agreed to match that donation as well! The giveaway ends November 14.
Note from Ashley: To volunteer directly with the Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund, please call the state hotline at 1-800-Jersey-7. They can help point you in the right direction! Visit their Facebook page for more information!
10. Wish Upon a Hero Fundraiser to benefit the Everett Family - Please support these four children who lost both parents in the storm when a tree crashed into their car. The two youngest children were in the backseat when their parents were killed but survived. This family has a long road ahead of them!
Please do whatever you can to help. It is needed desperately. Please share, pin and comment to get some attention to these great causes!
If you know of any other organizations (or blog fundraisers!), please let me know and I will add them to the list!